CHICKEN ALFREDO BAKED ZITI
CHICKEN ALFREDO BAKED ZITICourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
CHICKEN BAKED ZITI INGREDIENTS:
12 ounces uncooked ziti (or any pasta shape)
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (about 2 small chicken breasts)
1 batch alfredo sauce (see below)
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
toppings: lots of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, finely-chopped fresh basil or parsley
ALFREDO SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup low-fat milk
3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- TO MAKE THE CHICKEN BAKED ZITI:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook the pasta al dente in a large stockpot of well-salted boiling according to package instructions. Drain. Return pasta to the stockpot and add chicken and alfredo sauce. Gently toss to combine until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Pour half of the pasta into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of cheese. Layer the remaining half of the pasta evenly on top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and just barely starts to turn golden. Remove and serve immediately, sprinkled with additional toppings if desired.
- TO MAKE THE ALFREDO SAUCE:
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute one minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Sprinkle with flour, and stir to combine. Saute for an additional minute to cook the flour, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add chicken broth, whisking to combine until smooth. Whisk in milk, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let cook for an additional minute until thickened, then stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until the cheese melted. Remove from heat and set aside.