Crispy Hawaiian Garlic Tofu
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 Fresh jalapeno, sliced
- ¼ C. All purpose flour
- ½ C. +1 tsp. Corn starch
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ C. Soy sauce
- ½ C. Pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp. Agave syrup
- 3 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Water
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp. Ginger, grated
- Oil for frying
- Make sure you prep your tofu, by pressing it first, either in a tofu press, or by placing the tofu
- on some paper towels and placing something heavy on top. Press for at least 15 minutes, but
- the longer the better, and you can even do it the day before or the morning of.
- When ready to make the tofu, start with the sauce. In a small sauce pan, whisk together the
- soy sauce, pineapple juice, agave, 3 Tbsp. of water, chopped garlic and grated ginger. Heat on
- Bring to a simmer, then in a small bowl, whisk together 1 tsp. of corn starch and 1 tsp. of
- water. Until the corn starch has dissolved in the water. Add that to the sauce. Whisk to combine
- and continue to simmer for a minute until the sauce thickens. Once the sauce is nice and thick,
- turn off the heat. Try to keep it warm by covering it.
- While the sauce is simmering you can start making the tofu and jalapenos.
- Now in medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, ½ c. corn starch and salt. Stir to
- combine. Then cut the pressed tofu into cubes and toss all of the tofu into the corn starch/flour
- mixture to coat, then toss the jalapeno slices into the mixture as well.
- Then heat about ½ an inch of light oil in a skillet on medium high. Once the oil is hot, shake
- the excess flour/corn starch off of the tofu, then fry the tofu and jalapenos on each side until
- the tofu is brown and very crispy on all sides, this will take a few minutes on each side.
- Remove the tofu and jalapenos from the oil once they are crispy.
- Now, toss the tofu and jalapenos into the sauce, heating the sauce back up on low if needed.
- Serve immediately with rice and/or veggies
through baking. You can skip tossing them in corn starch and flour, and just toss them in olive oil,
sprinkle with salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake until really nice and brown and crisp. Then you
can make the sauce while the tofu is baking and toss together when finished.