Perfect Mexican Chopped Salad
Mexican Chopped SaladCourse: SaladsCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
- Ingredients for the dressing:
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon cumin
1 clove garlic finely minced
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
taste and add salt if needed
- Ingredients for the tortilla strips:
6 6- inch corn tortillas
1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Ingredients for the salad:
1 medium head romaine lettuce chopped in approximately 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium bell pepper diced in 1/4-inch pieces, any color (I used orange)
½ medium red onion diced in 1/4-inch pieces
½ medium jicama peeled and diced in 1/4-inch pieces
1 medium zucchini diced in 1/4-inch dice
4 medium tomatoes seeded and diced into 1/4-inch dice
4 ears corn if fresh corn is not in season substitute
1 ½ cups of sweet, tiny frozen corn
1 ½ cups canned black beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro plus whole cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
- For the dressing, combine lime juice, honey, cumin garlic and salt.
- In a slow, steady stream, add the oils, stirring continuously with a fork or small whisk.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
- For the corn tortilla strips, preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Stack corn tortillas on a cutting board. Cut in half. Cut each stack of halves into thin strips, widthwise, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Transfer tortilla strips to a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until light golden brown and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- For the salad, place corn, two ears at a time, in the microwave and cook for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave with a hot pad and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- After cooling, cut bottom end of corn off, about 1 1/2 inches from end. Pull back husk and silks (almost all of the silk should easily pull away). Cut kernels from husks and set aside.
- Combine corn and other salad ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add dressing and stir to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla strips on top or place a bowl on the side and let guests help themselves.