SAUSAGE, PEPPER AND RICE SKILLET
SAUSAGE, PEPPER AND RICE SKILLETCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 1/4 c. white rice
2 tsp. olive oil
1 (12 ounce) package smoked sausage
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 small white onion, quartered and sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
5 tbsp. tomato paste
1 1/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth, divided
1 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- In a small saucepan, cook rice according to the package’s directions.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. After the oil shimmers, add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion, saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Add the tomato paste and about 3/4 cup of chicken broth, whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute, then add the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in the cooked rice, sausage, remaining chicken broth, pepper and onions until combined. Garnish with chopped parsley, serve immediately.
- For an “Italian” version, use Italian sausage + 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
For a “Cajun” version, use andouille sausage + 1/2 tsp. cajun seasoning
- Source: https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2017/01/sausage-pepper-and-rice-skillet/